Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Peek


This is the first picture I took when my new camera came last week. It was a mistake, obviously; I couldn't figure out how to work the zoom. I almost deleted it, until I realized what it reminded me of.

When Mason was tiny, I'm talking a week or two old, I started calling him Peek. It seemed like he was always peeking up at me, watching, taking everything in. He was an observer, rather than a participator, in our little family. I'd think he was sleeping and I'd glance over, catching him staring at me out of one eye. Something like this:


It became his nickname... I hardly ever called him Mason. Always peeking, always observing. But I don't call him that anymore. I guess it's because he doesn't peek anymore. He doesn't just watch from the sidelines.. he's wide-eyed, fully aware, laughing, happy, and in on all the action. Now, he's Cheeks or Mouse or Smiles or Mase. Actually, I'd forgotten all about Peek.

I'm so glad I didn't delete that picture.

No comments: