Friday, December 19, 2008

Sugar Shock

I wanted Mason to try my Christmas cookies. They just might be the first thing I've ever made from scratch. I always used to take brownies in to work and say they were from scratch. Well, they were from a box and all I did was throw some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups or some white chocolate chips into the batter... Betty Crocker did the rest. There. Now you know my secret.

But these:



are as homemade as you can get. Sure, I ran into a few snags along the way. My dough was way too sticky to be able to roll out and use my cute Christmas shaped cookie cutters and I added a little too much vanilla to the icing, but they're super soft and for my first real baking attempt it wasn't half bad.

Like I said, I was so proud that I wanted Mason to take a big bite of one. Then, I thought of the whole cup of sugar in the cookies and the three and a half cups of powdered sugar in the icing. And sprinkles... they're pretty much just sugar, right?

Yeah... no cookies for Mason. The kid won't sleep as it is.

Maybe next year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Experts say some of the most convincing evidence against the link between food and behavior is on busting the sugar-hyperactivity myth.

"There is elegant research demonstrating that sugar is not at all related to inattention or hyperactivity," says Mina Dulcan, MD, head of child and adolescent psychiatry at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago.