Sunday, December 28, 2008

I Think He Likes It!

I gave the whole solid food thing a lot of thought. We skipped over the rice cereal completely. Yes grandma, WIC lady, and stranger in the baby section at Walmart, I know, "he'll sleep through the night if you give him cereal before bed". If you ate a pound of pasta before bed, you'd sleep well too, but I don't like the idea of filling up his little belly with something that has basically no nutritional value just so I can get some sleep.

I would have made a bet that Mason would love solid food, especially since we skipped over the weird cereal stuff and went straight for the real food. In any case, I'm glad I didn't bet because I would have lost. Maybe it's too early to make that call though. So far all he's had is sweet potatoes, bananas, and apples. All fresh and organic and mashed up just for him. He hasn't been crazy about any of it. He hasn't hated it, but I haven't seen him jumping for joy over anything either.

The other day he tried apples. We'd bought two and baked them, added some cinnamon, cut them into chunks, and froze them. I tried mashing them into applesauce. Eh. He ate a few bites without giving much of a reaction and proceeded to blow applesauce raspberries all over me. Lovely.

Then this afternoon, I tried this:

It's a little mesh net that you put fruit in. I put two frozen apple chunks in that thing and let Mase go to town. The frozen cubes must have felt good on his gums (I really think those teeth are going to come in soon!) and he seemed to really like the taste, too. After the cubes thawed though,it got a little messy, so he got naked.


He ended up with sticky apple juices down his belly, all over his hands, and in his hair. He loved every minute of it.

1 comment:

Christina Ragusin said...

That thing looks so cool!

I have to say, one of the things I found out after a long frustrating time of making Ava's food (I never bought a single jar of baby food) that I was just a little too eager at first. Its not the taste she didn't like. It was the consistency. She had gone from breast milk to applesauce, and I couldn't figure out why she wouldn't eat it. I read a book called Super Baby Food and it all clicked. For the first two weeks or so, the consistency should basically be liquid. Just mainly so she got the taste of things. Then, I would gradually move up to the consistency of applesauce, and beyond. It worked for me! He'll get it eventually. He is just about the cutest little guy ever!!