Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Turn it Off!

Yesterday afternoon, I strategically placed Mason in his Jumperoo so I could make some lunch and clean up the kitchen. So he's in there, bouncing away happily, and I'm going through the twenty thousand songs on my iPod, trying to find something for us to listen to. I decide on The Counting Crows - perfect for a cold, thoughtful winter day.

Now, I didn't ask Mason's opinion, but he's always been okay with whatever I choose. The Beatles are his favorite, but he likes Say Anything, Brand New, Jeremy Kay, Better Than Ezra, Third Eye Blind, Matt Pond PA, The Fray, Guster... He's actually never protested any of my music before and there's nothing not to like about The Counting Crows, right? I shove the iPod into its slot in the iHome and "'Round Here" begins to play.


Complete silence ensues. He stops jumping and just stands there, motionless. The Jumperoo stops making its little jungle noises and Mason stares in the direction of the music with the widest eyes. I wait for him to smile. He doesn't. I was able to snap one picture before I had to go running over and save him.


As soon as I held him he calmed down, but he didn't stop crying until I completely shut off the music. Needless to say, the kitchen never got cleaned up and I inhaled the rest of my lunch with Mason on my hip. Guess he's not a fan of the Crows. Oh well. As long as he doesn't decide he likes rap.

No comments: