Friday, November 7, 2008

Cribs Are for Sleeping

Our nights of awful sleeping have been catching up to me. For three weeks, Mason's been waking up three or four times a night to eat, almost as many times as he did when he was a newborn. Not only that, but it takes three tries and two hours to get him to fall asleep initially. I'm exhausted to the point that I can't even finish the laundry, leaving it in the dryer until, days later, I remember it's in there and have to wash it again because it's so wrinkly. I fall asleep every time I sit down to feed Mason, and I believe I was falling asleep standing up at work today. Clearly, it's time to do something.

So, twenty-three minutes ago, I placed a sleeping Mason in his crib for the first time ever. Maybe it's true that most babies sleep in their cribs from the moment they come home from the hospital, but the only time Mason's been in his is when I need his mobile to entertain him for a minute and a half while I pee. I know I'm a pretty loud, restless sleeper, so I'm sure I'm keeping him up at night when he's in bed with me. And he doesn't seem to like his bassinet anymore either... he's so big these days that when I lay him down in there his little feet are touching one end and his head is touching the other end. Besides that, it isn't very soft at all, and I feel bad putting him in there when he could be in his crib, relaxing on his Sealy Baby Posturpedic.

So... he's in his own crib in his own room. I put him in there and came out into the living room and cried. I've peeked in at him a dozen times to make sure he's okay, and now I'm watching muted CNN with the baby monitor cranked up as high as it will go. I'll probably sleep worse tonight than I have in a long time.

Edit: After being in his crib for approximately thirty-one minutes, Mason woke up squealing, eyes wide. He appeared scared, but unharmed. He was returned to the crib for another try.

Edit Again: Another hour later, he woke again. A little rocking and an off-key version of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star seemed to do the trick. One more time though, and it's back into Mommy's bed for little Mason.

Last Edit: I went to bed at nine o'clock, snuggling with the baby monitor. At 12:45 (I think) Mason woke up. I really should have just put him back in his crib, but I brought the little bugger into bed. What can I say, I missed him. He woke up four times within the four hours after he came into bed with me and has been up since about five. Five in the morning. Lovely.

He'll be staying in his crib tonight.

No comments: