Monday, September 15, 2008

Whenever he feels like it.

Mason rolled from his belly to his back four times one day -- it had to have been about a month ago. I wasn't able to catch it on video, and he hadn't done it since. Not that I haven't been trying. But trying to get Mason to roll basically just involves me squealing and cheering and him laughing like crazy, but never rolling. I mean, really, what more can I do? Well, this morning, he was on his belly, he looked at me, and he rolled onto his back like it was nothing. He landed on his back, smiled a big smile at me, and started to chew on his hands, totally unaware of what a monumental moment this was for the both of us.

Of course, I grabbed the video camera, started taping, and flipped him back onto his belly. He screamed. I held him for a minute, gave him a little pep talk, and back on his belly he went. Another scream. I picked him up again. He looked annoyed with me. I put him on his back. Silence. Smiles.

He wasn't rolling to make me happy. He rolled over because he wanted to be on his back, simple as that. Maybe those other times last month were just accidents. Today was the real thing. I'm so excited. I hope it's not another month before he does it again.


But I do know it'll be on his own time.

No comments: