Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mommy Meltdown

The minute I hit 'publish' on my last post, all hell broke loose. After napping for barely a half an hour, he sneezed himself awake and was completely and utterly miserable. Nothing I did would stop his crying. We rocked, we bounced, we layed down. I sang, I danced, I made funny faces. I tried to feed him, he screamed and turned bright red. This had never happened before, so I just didn't know what to do. There was a problem and I couldn't fix it. I felt like the worst mom ever.

When George came home he found me curled up on the floor in Mason's room, where I'd been for about ten minutes. Mason was in his crib, looking up at his mobile and kicking his legs like nothing had ever been wrong. When the mobile stopped, I'd get up to turn the crank and return to the fetal position on the floor, in tears. The mobile could make him smile when Mommy couldn't. I was officially the worst.

I wanted to cancel his pictures, since he was clearly not in the mood, but George talked me out of it. So we went. Of course, in the car he decided that it was finally a good time to take a nap, and when we got to the mall we had to wake him up. Ugh. That poor photographer... she tried so hard to get him to smile. He just wasn't having it. At least he didn't cry... he just stared at her with the blankest look on his face. There was nothing she could do (nothing any of us could do, really) to get him to crack a smile. He barely blinked at her.

The pictures would have been awful and depressing. My little baby, sitting in a pumpkin patch with his bib overalls and no expression whatsoever on his chubby face. I had no choice but to appologize for wasting her time and rescheduled for Thursday. We'll see how that goes. On the way home, I figured I'd treat myself to a banana split from Dairy Queen for all my troubles. What do I do before I even get to taste it? Drop in on the carpet as soon as I walk in the door.

I'm so glad it's bedtime.

No comments: