Thursday, January 29, 2009

What a Work Out

It's been three days since Mason started crawling and I just can't seem to be able to wrap my mind around the whole thing yet. This morning before work, I put him down on the floor in the living room with a couple toys and went into the kitchen to make some oatmeal for him and some coffee for me. I finished up what I was doing, turned around.. and almost tripped over him. Mason was right under my feet, giggling like crazy.

Of course my first thought was how in the world did you get over here? and then it took a good thirty seconds for my brain to process the fact that he can move by himself. See, it wasn't that long ago that my baby couldn't even hold his own head up without help and now, three days in, he's acting like he's been crawling all his life. He follows me when I do the laundry. He peeks his head around the corner when I'm peeing. He's chewing on wires and lunging onto my dinner plate. He's everywhere.

It's so much fun though. From across the room, I call his name and hold out my hands and he gives me a couple exasperated grunts and groans, as if what he's about to do is the most strenuous, awful thing I could possibly make him do and he's thinking why the heck won't you pick me up and just take me over there, mom? Finally, he'll humor me and crawl over, all dramatic-like, and smile super big when he finally gets close enough to grab my hands. Every once in awhile, he forgets that he needs his hands and he'll try to rub his eyes or something, mid-crawl, and fall on his face. He's hilarious, but it must be exhausting, and If I didn't know him better, I'd swear he'd sleep all night with all the energy he must be putting out.

Every morning I make a pot of coffee and microwave the same cup three times before I finally get a chance to drink it. Today, I think I set a new record with five microwavings. Whew. Good thing I'm going back to the gym on Monday. I'm having a hard time keeping up.

No comments: