Thursday, January 8, 2009

Goodbye, Twenty-Three

Tomorrow's my birthday; I'll be twenty-four years old. Today, my last day as a twenty-three-year-old, was a great end to a great year. Here are some highlights.

Mason had an appointment for a shot this morning, so I got to put him in his new carseat. His present from Mommy and Daddy, his brand new Britax Marathon, Cadillac of All Carseats:



Talk about safety! He can stay rear-facing in that thing until he's thirty-five pounds and then turn it around and ride in style until he hits sixty-five pounds.

After Mason's appointment I really wanted to go to The Waffle Shop for breakfast, but the nurses had taken forever to get the shot ready and we didn't have much time before we had to get to our WIC appointment. We settled for Sheetz, and while George pumped some gas I ran in and ordered us a couple breakfast sandwiches. I grabbed an orange juice, paid for the food and the gas, and as an afterthought, brought a five dollar scratch-off ticket. I scratched it on the counter while I waited for the sandwiches... and won sixty bucks!

When we got home, I made some more sweet potato and some pear and showed Mason the cupboard that I had set up for him in the kitchen.



He loved it. Actually, loved may be an understatement.

He had a mix of sweet potato and apple for dinner and then got another surprise. I decided to hold off on juice 'til Mason's one and don't really love the idea of a sippy cup for him right now, but the kid loves water. He's always trying to sip mine (and sometimes his bath water) - and it's usually a pretty big mess - so I decided to get him a little cup with a straw. I thought it would take him a few days to figure out how to actually get the water through the straw, but my little smarty caught right on.


It only took forty minutes to get Mason to fall asleep, and as soon as his eyes closed I skipped out into the kitchen and made myself a pre-birthday dinner:

Not twelve seconds after I took that picture, my beautiful baby started to cry from his bedroom. Of course. I keep trying to remind myself that when he's older, I'll be glad I got to spend so much time with him, even if it is in the middle of dinner or at three in the morning. Now, I'm going to have some ice cream and watch the season premiere of Nip/Tuck from the other night. And if Mason wakes up again... ehhh, oh well. Isn't that why they invented DVR?

No comments: