Sunday, January 4, 2009

Squashed

Next on Mason's menu: butternut squash.

I bought one on Friday. To turn a butternut squash into baby food, all you have to do is cut it long ways down the middle, put it in a pan face down in an inch or two of water, and bake at four hundred degrees for forty minutes. Simple, right? No way I could mess that one up.

And I didn't. I didn't mess up the squash. There are twenty-four cubes of mashed up squash sitting in the freezer at this moment. I did, however, almost cut my finger off.

I guess I don't know how to properly use a knife, because the skin of the squash was a little tough so I was kind of... stabbing it... and ended up with about a half inch of knife blade in my finger. I actually felt the knife hit bone. I'm pretty sure it was the first time I ever swore in front of Mase. There was blood, too. Lots of it.


Here are the blood splatters on the floor and the oven door:



And my bandaged finger:

If I hadn't been dizzy, nauseous, and collapsed on the kitchen floor with my head between my knees trying not to pass out (with Mason looking helplessly on from his highchair) I would have taken a picture of the bloody scene. Unfortunately, all I have is this, taken just now (about thirty-six hours later).


Trust me, it's way worse than it looks.

I make Mason's baby food because it's cheaper, fresher, and healthier, but you know, I bet the jarred stuff would be a lot safer. For me, that is. How much damage could I do while unscrewing the lid off a jar? Oh well. Anything for the well-being of my baby. He'll eat the good stuff, even if it costs me an appendage or two.

For the record, I don't think he even liked the squash.

No comments: