Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Home Is Where the Smiles Are

This week has been long and tiring and it's only Wednesday. I'm almost positive that Mason's first tooth is about to poke it's way through his bottom gum, and it's making him pretty miserable. He's been awake for about a week straight, he clings to me as if I'll run away forever if he lets me out of his sight, and he just hasn't been his old smiley self. The teething tablets I've been giving him haven't been helping at all. I don't think so, anyway. They haven't been helping him sleep, that's for sure.

I got to work today at five o'clock and was told to go home as soon as I walked in the door. I hesitated for a second, then turned and ran before my manager could change her mind. It's really icy and cold out, so I guess she just assumed we weren't going to get too busy. I was so glad to come home, because today wasn't anything like how the past week has been.

I feel a little guilty admitting it, but there have been two or three days in the past seven months when putting on that tie and going across the parking lot to The Olive Garden was like taking a vacation. But not tonight. Tonight, I came home to this:



Okay, I couldn't get a good smile on camera, but trust me, they were there, and the smiles he had for me today have made me even happier than they usually do after these last few days of his grumping around. Maybe I'll get a double surprise: the night off AND Mase sleeping through the night.

Well, I guess that's asking a little much. I'll be unbelievably happy if he stays asleep 'til midnight.

No comments: