Sunday, January 11, 2009

Tooth Aches

Today was just one of those days. One of those wake up at six, nap for ten minutes total all day kind of days. One of those days when I clearly understand why thirteen-year-olds shouldn't have babies and why my mom used to jokingly threaten to run away from home. I do a lot every day, but my most important job aound here isn't paying the bills, cleaning the apartment, or making sure the laundry's done. It's keeping Mason happy. That's it. Sounds easy, right? Well, most of the time, it is.

But for the majority of today... it just wasn't.

And when it isn't easy and when I can't get that big Mason smile because he's overtired and cranky and his teeth hurt, well.. I can't help feeling like I'm letting him down. A sad baby inevitably equals a sad mommy. When you can't do your one most important job in the world, nothing else seems to matter very much. I walked into work in tears, yelled at a manager, and slammed some stuff around before I finally calmed myself down.

I just want him happy, that's all. I hate that helpless feeling I get when I know there's a problem but I can't fix it. I can see the little bumps where his teeth are about to pop through. I wish they'd hurry up a little. Kids get about twenty teeth before they start losing them. Is every tooth going to be this painful?

No comments: