Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Crazy Days

Yesterday was one of those days. I was trying to make baby food, do laundry, dust, vacuum, scrub toilets, and raise a child all at once and it just wasn't working out for me.

By noon, I'd started everything but accomplished nothing (except for following Mason around, playing with every toy he owns, and making sure he didn't pull a bookcase down on himself or stick his finger in a light socket, which I suppose is an accomplishment in itself). We both forgot to eat lunch and we didn't change out of our jammies until sometime after three thirty. His first (and only) nap didn't happen until four forty-five and only lasted about a half an hour, giving me time to walk out of the room, collapse onto the couch, inhale a sandwich, and wonder what I was going to do about this mess:




Those pictures don't actually do it justice either. There was way more laundry - a load in the washer, a load in the dryer, and a load waiting in a pile in the hallway. Mason had gotten into my purse, leaving it's contents chewed up and strewn all over the floor. The sink was full of dirty dishes. Everything was just a wreck and I felt like I was bordering on the edge of insanity. So when he woke up after barely sleeping for thirty minutes, I hadn't even decided where to start. I just sighed and went in and collected him off of my (unmade, of course) bed.

I figured I'd better at least get his room cleaned before I put him to bed, so I set him on the floor and started putting clothes away and dusting his furniture. He whined, still grumpy from lack of sleep and very unhappy to be out of Mama's arms. He pulled at my pant leg, threw board books around in anger, and kept whining. I got involved in dusting and wasn't paying attention when I realized he was just too quiet. I looked around for him and this is what I saw:


He'd pulled up on the changing table, got into a basket that holds all kinds of junk, found that binky, and put it in his mouth. He's never used a binky. Well, I take that back - there was about a two week period when he was maybe three or four months old when he'd take it if I shoved it in there during naptime. Now, all of a sudden, he wanted that binky. He carried it around with him until bedtime.

Guess it was one of those days for both of us.

No comments: