Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lunch

Lately I've been trying to come up with creative things to make Mason to eat. I don't want to branch out from the fresh fruits and veggies too much just yet, but he's had (and loves) wheat bread, organic pastas, YoBaby yogurt, cream cheese, and oatmeal. We tried egg yolks, but they look too gross to even try when I scrambled them, and he gagged on them when they were hard boiled.

We have tons of organic produce around here, too, after a trip to Wegman's the other day: banana, mango, peach, pear, avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash, carrots, and eggplant, all frozen into cubes or chunks or slices and tightly sealed in labled ziplock baggies in the freezer. There's something about turning fruits and vegetables into baby food that I just love and I know I'll be sad when he doesn't want my Mommy Purees anymore.


But, yeah, I've been trying to be creative. Breakfast is always easy - toast with cream cheese or a fruit spread, either yogurt or oatmeal, and some kind of frest fruit. Dinner is easy too - just a whole bowl of veggies and a half a bowl of fruit. Lunch, though. Lunch is tricky. I just never know what to make.

Today, though, I got a little crazy. I branched out. Eggplant parmesan (well, minus the parmesan.. we haven't tried cheese yet)... baby style:

He loved the eggplant. Liked the pasta too, but since it was a strange shape (it was the edges of the ravioli I had for lunch) it was kind of slippery and took him about three days to gum each piece. I don't think he was a fan of the sauce.

I never realized how seedy eggplant is! If you look closely in this next picture, you can see an eggplant seed sticking out of his right nostril:

Still happy though. Always happy. Even with eggplant in his nose. Gosh, I love him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Baby Boom? It's a totally 80's movie but one of my favorites. I think you'd like it!