Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Half-Milestones

This morning, Mason picked up a piece of toast between his thumb and forefinger - the pincer grasp. He did it twice, both times with his left hand. I believe I've read that babies start developing a right- or left-handed preference as early as six months old, but that they won't really make a choice until they're two or three years old. I think he's going to be a lefty though. In any case, he grabbed the toast between his two fingers, shoved it into his mouth, and then looked totally surprised about it (both times).

It's so funny to me how these little milestones are just as exciting as the big ones. People are always asking if Mason's gotten any teeth yet, if he can stand up, and if he's starting to talk. But no one ever asks if he can drink out of a straw (which he can), understand what I mean when I do the sign for water (which he does), or follow me around the apartment by the sound of my voice (which he did ALL day today). I guess those kinds of mini-milestones only matter to mama.

So, no, he's not walking yet, but you should see this kid pick up a piece of toast.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

You are such a great writer, Megan!...and that Mason is one of the cutest little guys I've seen. I would love to see him pick up a piece of toast...it IS exciting! You may just have a lefty on your hands.