Thursday, February 12, 2009

Date Night Worries

Tomorrow night, my mom's coming over to babysit Mason while George and I go out on our first baby-free date in nine months. She's watched him before, when I had to go somewhere and couldn't take him with me. My brother and sister-in-law have watched him before, too. But that was a long time ago. And it was only for a few hours at a time. And it was during the day.

Nighttime babysitting is completely different. As George and I have dinner, my mom will be giving Mason his dinner, watching him splash around in the tub, and wrestling him into his jammies. While we see a movie, she'll be reading Mase his story, giving him a bottle, and tucking him into bed. That's a lot of work. Not that I don't trust my mom; of course I trust her. I know she won't let him cry and I know she won't do anything I wouldn't do, but I still know I'm going to worry the whole time. I can already see myself texting my mom over dinner to make sure he ate enough and played with his toys and didn't seem upset. And honestly, I'm not sure what is worse: Mason crying because he misses me or not crying at all and being completely fine without me.

For almost a week straight, George has put Mason to bed. He gives him his bottle, kisses him, puts him in the crib and... silence. My baby can put himself to sleep. For Daddy, anyway. Well tonight, George is working, so it's my turn again. I started to feed him around seven thirty. Twenty minutes later I gave him a kiss, put him in his crib, and walked out of the room, shutting the door behind me. He was wide awake. I heard a very quiet "cooo" and a "dada" or two and that was that. He's sleeping. At least I know bedtime shouldn't be too traumatic for my mom tomorrow.

Now for me, on the other hand...

No comments: