Sunday, May 31, 2009

Better Than Betty

Determined to make Mason's first birthday cake myself, I dove headfirst into the world of layer cakes and fondant. I can't remember ever baking anything that didn't come from a box, so of course, there were a few obstacles. One of my cakes (from scratch!) collapsed in the oven and was basically raw. By that time I was out of flour, so the bottom layer ended up being two boxes of Betty Crocker funfetti.

I think the whole process took about eight hours. Maybe more. Aimee and I worked on the cake part for about five hours on Thursday night. I made the fondant animals myself, mostly the night before Mason's party. Finally, on Friday night at one o'clock in the morning - with my eyes glazed over and powered sugar in my hair and blue and yellow and green fondant under my fingernails - it was done. Almost.

I had to put it together at the party, to avoid the disaster that would surely happen if I were to try to transport it in one piece. Obviously, this brought about more obstacles. It was hot in the car, and some of my giraffe spots started to slide down the cake's sides. The leaves on my palm trees cracked and broke off. I didn't bring enough green icing to go the whole way around the layers.

But still.. it was the best (never mind the only) cake I've ever made:




5 comments:

Jill said...

Megs, you made that cake! It's amazing!!

Brianne said...

Wow! It looks so amazing!!! I'm impressed!!

Anonymous said...

Good job little girl!

Anonymous said...

Looks Great Megan!
Christian

Christina Ragusin said...

OMG. Seriously. Awesome.