Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Napless Absentees and a Disappointing Trip to Toys 'R Us

This morning started off with Aimee and Mads sleeping through swimming lessons. Those bums. Mason and I were up at six, as we almost always are, and I'm slightly bitter... not because we didn't get to go swimming, but because we've never slept past seven thirty, let alone until nine. Sigh. Anyway, we had plans for the rest of the day, so I tried to let Mason nap for awhile before we headed off to Altoona. But no. A nap just wasn't in that kid's agenda. I figured he'd at least sleep in the car, so Aimee and Madelynn picked us up and we headed out.

I should have known the babies wouldn't sleep if they were together. They spent the half-hour to Altoona reaching across to hold hands, poke each other, and pass snacks back and forth between their car seats. With less than ten minutes to go, Mason started to scream from the backseat and there was only one obvious solution; I'll just say that it's entirely possible to breastfeed a baby in a car seat in the back of a moving vehicle. Tricky and requiring some flexibility, but possible.

When we finally got to the Cracker Barrel, Mason was obviously still grumpy but easily distracted with blueberry pancakes, fruit, and turkey sausage. The mall went fairly smoothly, too, with only a short Madelynn Meltdown towards the end, but by that time both of them were exhausted and tired of shopping, so it was to be expected. We left the mall and headed for our last stop: Toys 'R Us. It was the reason we'd gone shopping at all - I wanted to find The World's Coolest Tricycle for Mason's birthday. I remember loving Toys 'R Us when I was a little kid. There were games to play all over the store and happy, excited kids everywhere. Jeffrey Giraffe wandered the crowd, shaking hands, passing out balloons, and playing with babies. I hadn't been to a Toys 'R Us in probably fifteen years and I couldn't wait to take Mason.


Turns out, this Toys 'R Us was completely void of any customers besides the four of us. It was kind of dirty and it was filled with toys I could get (cheaper) at Walmart. There were no games. There was no giant giraffe. Maybe times have changed or maybe it just seemed glitzy and glamorous when I was a kid, but either way... talk about a disappointment. I didn't even buy anything.

Mase and Mads ended up napping for about twenty minutes on the drive home, but woke up when we stopped for gas. What a long day. My poor baby almost passed out on top of the chicken and sweet potatoes I made for dinner.

Hopefully Thursday we'll make it to swimming. And take a nap.

No comments: