Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goals

I always make New Year's Resolutions.. they're usually ten or so things that I come up with randomly that sound like they'd be good resolutions to make or things I want to do throughout the year. But then, either I forget what they are and don't even know if I did them or not (note to self, check this blog on December 31st of 2012), or they're way too debatable (like, "worry less". Yeah, it sounds nice, but less than what? How do I decide whether or not I accomplished that for 365 days?).

My other issue is that they're called resolutions, which implies that you SWEAR you are going to do, which implies that if you don't do them you LIED and FAILED. That's why I'm calling these goals, which is much more friendly and fluffy and non-urgent and if I don't do some or any of them it won't be a big deal at all. Anyway...

1. Take Mason to three new states he hasn't already visited yet (he's already been to ([not including just driving through] Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, California, and Michigan). I'm thinking Virginia, one of the Carolinas, and Alaska. :)

2. Read more. I'd like to shoot for 50 books, but considering I'm starting the year out with Infinite Jest and I'll have plenty of grad school stuff to keep me busy (oh, and parenting my kid and whatnot), I'll go for 36 this year.

3. Write the book I've been thinking about forever that, in its current state, is only 4.5 pages long.

4. Get Mason's scrapbook up to date. Seeing that the poor kid has been alive for 43 months and I only have 3 months of his life scrapbooked (I know my math is bad but I think that equates to about .07%), I better get started on that right this second.


5. Pay off ALL my credit cards and start a savings account for Mason with all that extra money I'll be saving every month.

There. Five very tangible, very doable things.

I asked Mason what his resolutions were and he just said, "what?" like he usually says when I ask him something absurd. I suppose three-year-olds don't need to have goals or resolutions. Lucky duck.

No comments: