Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Pet

Lately, I've been having these strange thoughts about getting Mason a pet. Our house is WAY to small for a puppy (which would be my first choice). The landlord (my mother) says she doesn't want us to have a kitten in the house because it will destroy the new carpet and they want to rent the place out when we move out and blah blah blah. A goldfish is boring. Turtles smell bad.

The obvious choice is a hamster.

So Sunday night after retrieving Mason from his dad, we had dinner at Applebee's, which is located conveniently across the parking lot from Petco.

On the way into the pet store, I asked Mason what he thought he'd name his new hamster. His response was immediate, without any hesitation at all.

Meet "Hug Lovely".


She's a Chinese Dwarf Hamster who weighs about one ounce and is the friendliest rodent I've ever come across, flinching not even to the sometimes-a-little-rough advances of a three-year-old who doesn't know his own strength. She's only nibbled at him once and I'm pretty sure that's because he had granola bar remnants on his fingers.

Welcome to the family, Hug Lovely. May you live a long enough life that ensures I don't have to try to explain death until Mase is at least five.

No comments: