Monday, August 4, 2008

I'm just the narrator

Last night Mason and I took a walk, the purpose of which was to get him to nap for a little while. It was 6pm, he hadn't slept all day, and he was just not happy. Usually he's sleeping before we get out of the parking lot of the apartment complex, so I strapped him in his carseat, drug him and the stroller down the stairs, and we were off.

Of course, he stayed awake the whole time. It was the first time we were outside for a long period of time when he wasn't sleeping in his stoller, and he's big enough now to see over the sides. I had brought my Ipod, but I left it off this time so I could talk to him. I told him what everything was, and why these things were happening, and where we were going while he looked around, eyes wide. He stared up at the sky, the trees, a dog, the birds flying over him... and I realized it was because he was seeing everything for the first time. Everything is new to him.

I tried to see everything the way he was seeing it. I tried to pretend I hadn't seen the sky before. I couldn't.

He's lucky.

No comments: