Friday, August 15, 2008

The kid's got skills!

This past week, there doesn't seem to be anything news-worthy aside from the accomplishments of Michael Phelps. He's on the front page of all the papers and he's all they talk about on the news. Don't get me wrong, six (seven?) Olympic gold medals isn't something to be over-looked, but honestly, I'd like to know what else is going on in the world. Then, I thought about how Michael's mom must feel. I'm sure she'd never get sick of seeing her little boy on TV.

It seems like everyday now, Mason learns something new. A few days ago, he realized that his hands weren't the only things he could put in his mouth. Now, he's chomping on everything he can get his hands on. Sometimes it takes a few tries.


But poking himself in the eye won't stop Mason from trying again!


And again..


Finally.. success!

As of yesterday, he can roll. The first time, I wasn't paying attention. He got up on his side and it was like he was waiting there 'til I was watching. As soon as I looked at him he rolled the rest of the way over. He's done it four times, and I can't begin to say how proud I am. Here he is, mid-roll.


If only pictures had audio... you'd be able to hear me screaming like a crazy person. I'm feeling what the mom of a gold-winning Olympic athlete feels. They don't give gold medals for rolling over, but they should.

So I guess I'm a little more tolerant of all the fuss over Michael Phelps, since that could very well be Mason in 20-some years. I'll be the mom screaming in the stands, who'd never get sick of seeing my baby all over TV. Remember this face, you'll be seeing it again in the 2030 Olympics.

No comments: