Friday, July 22, 2011

Real Jobless. Still.

Up until the past couple of days, I've pretty much been hired for every job I've ever applied. In the past week, I've not gotten three different jobs. And by "not gotten", I mean I didn't even get an interview or a phone call, but instead read in the paper that the positions have been filled, complete with names and starting salaries. Ouch. Talk about salt in the wound.

I guess the difference is that every job I've ever applied for before has been a waitressing or bartending job. These were teaching jobs. Real jobs. I cried when I saw the newspaper. Any one of those teaching jobs would have made my life so much easier. But, I suppose it's back to bartending and substitute teaching and hoping someone retires or gets mono or something. See, this is why I wish I believed in god. If I believed in god, I could say things like, "well, he must just have an even better plan for me", and go on my merry way. Or I could pray for a job instead of worshiping the Ben and Jerry gods of comfort food by eating ice cream until I gain five pounds and my face looks like a 14-year-old boy's. Oy. I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that at least karma exists. I must have done something decent over the years.

And now I'm a three weeks away from being a quarter of the way through a Master's degree. I haven't been blogging because, as it turns out, Master's degrees are not easily obtained. These classes are time consuming and HARD. They are also expensive. The student loan companies must love me.

I so hope this all ends up being worth it.

3 comments:

erica said...

I know how disheartening that can be Megan. I'll send lots of teaching job vibes your way!

Anonymous said...

Don't give up hope on a teaching position! Keep sending out resumes and checking online for openings. Many schools don't even hire until right before school starts. My first teaching job I got 6 weeks AFTER school started and the next one I got 2 days before school started. Just keep your head up!

Alison said...

I feel your pain sister! I remember wishing I believed that praying for a job would bring that job to my door step but, sadly, I'm not so sure that works.

And if karma exists, I have some really cool shit coming my way and I'm sure you do too. Keep your head up! :)