Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Flops

If you were paying attention, you may have noticed Mason's footwear in my last post. Just in case you aren't that observant, here's a closer look.



Purple flip flops. They were five bucks at Target and he picked them out himself. He wore them outside and around the house all weekend and then, that Monday, he wore them to daycare. When I picked him up that afternoon, I was putting him in his car seat and he says, matter-of-factly, "Mommy, these are girl flip flops".

Ouch. My gender-role protesting heart. I told him he could wear whatever kind of flip flops he wanted and that there was no such thing as "girl colors". He didn't seem entirely convinced at first but, even when given the choice between purple, brown, or black, he's chosen his purple flip flops with confidence every morning since.

No comments: